Ancient pixels

I’ve continued with my pixel sorting experiments. I’ve made one change to the script as well as one addition. The change is that the pixel sorting algorithm no longer wraps, so only pixels in the same row can be swapped with one another. Pixels can be shifted side to side but never move up or down. This constraint goes one step towards preserving more of the original image. The addition is a condition that must be met before two pixels are swapped. For example, a pixel will be swapped with the next pixel if it has a higher saturation value, but only if the next pixel has a red hue. This is where things really get interesting. There are a lot of permutations of this logic and the results are always a bit of a surprise. You can sort by saturation but ignore dark pixels. Sort by brightness but only move blue pixels. Every combination of parameters and thresholds (how blue is “blue”?) provides a different result. Here are a few of my favorites so far.

Hue sat bright in Athens

Inspired by artists like Kim Asendorf and Jay Mark Johnson, I wanted to explore pixel manipulation of images. I felt a good starting point was to just try sorting all the pixels in an image. I used a simple bubble sorting algorithm that marches along from the first pixel to the last pixel. A pixel is swapped with the next pixel if, for example, the next pixel has a higher hue value. The results of that operation can be seen in the first image. The next sorted image is sorted from the most saturated pixel to the least. Both images started as a photograph of the School of Athens, an image I selected at random from a Google image search for classic art. There are two key points to note about the results. The first is that the pixels are considered to wrap from the end of the one row to the beginning of the next row, and swapping them if necessary. The second thing to note is that each image only evaluates one factor, and there are no competing criteria. These are the two points I want to change in my next sketches.

Winter Update

It’s been a long time since my last post and I think I need to do something to break the streak, even if it’s just a quick update. I feel that saying I’ve been busy is a bit of an understatement. At work I have one project coming up out of the ground at a very fast pace as well as another project getting ready to go out to bid. I’m in the process of getting registered to take the architectural registrations exams and doing a bit studying for them as well. In what spare time I’ve had, I’ve made a start on a board game design that’s been kicking around in the back of my head. Of course, any spare time I had has pretty much dried up thanks to a rather significant development in my personal life. Two weeks ago my wife and I had our second child, a baby girl. She’s doing well and I’m sure she will fill our lives with joy and leave little room for things like blogs. None the less, I mean to press forward and scrape together some new content when I can. As for this post, I’ve decided to include a rendering from work that was presented at a school board meeting concerning the project that is about to go out to bid, a performing art center.

DUSK Render